Sunday, July 18, 2010

Trappin' Time



This is my first post in a little while, because...wait for it...I actually have a job now!   I'm trappin' vermin.  Well, technically my title is wildlife technician but basically I just trap little critters, terrorize them for a couple minutes, then let them go.   
I'm working for a PhD student at NAU, who is conducting a small mammal study in the Pinyon/Juniper forests of the South Kaibab National Forest.  
My job is pretty simple: set up five 100/100 meter plots every week, set traps every 20 meters, then wait.  We bait and set the traps in the evening, then get out as early as possible (usually around 5am) to check them.  Supposedly, there are 23 species of small mammals that we could be catching, but mostly we've been trapping two or three species of deer mice, a couple species of wood-rats, and an occasional chipmunk or skunk (more on the latter to come).   
Once caught, we handle and identify them by taking a few measurements and consulting guides, and write all this information down.  Then we take a small sample from either their tail or ear for genetic sampling done in the lab by the boss.
We then give them an individual marking on the ear with a sharpie so we know if we catch them again (we trap at the plots for four nights).   
It's a quick little exam, but I'm sure it scares the hell out of 'em.
Trapper Ty, figuring out what species of deer mouse he's holding.   

Me. Messin' with wildlife.  
   
I live in the woods just off highway 40, in a tent next to a trailer.  No joke.  Rent and utilities are free, obviously.  It's a good little gig, and it kind of just fell into my lap, so I'm not complaining!   

Home sweet home.


White Throated Woodrat (Neotoma Albigula).

This little guy got away...

My front yard.   

I figure I'll start an online journal of the interesting things that happen while on the job (or when i get bored during my 6 hour lunch break), just to continue the blogging and keep y'all informed.  Maybe I'll call it "Trapper Diaries" or something cheesy like that.  On second thought, probably not.  But i'll keep posting, so stay tuned!   

No comments:

Post a Comment